Skip to main content

Obvious statements and no pants



The other day a girl I never saw before came strolling into my office and said she was told to look at my shoes.

Purple shoes and the great disappointment
I kind of stared blankly at her for a moment. "You were told to see my shoes today?" I asked.

"Yes, I was told you have fabulous shoes."

"Ummm. OK. Today is a little dull though. Just brown crocodile peep toes. I'm pretty sure they meant another day. I have shoes way more interesting than these," I explained while swiveling around in my chair and letting her look at my shoes.

She looked a bit crestfallen. As if I was was supposed to be wearing the most amazing shoes ever. The kind of shoes you think about and obsess over for weeks after seeing them. The kind that you look for forever and can't find.

A couple days later she stepped in front of me in the hall and pointed a finger at me.

"Oh my God, your shoes are purple!" she exclaimed.

I just stared at her. I know my shoes are purple. I put them on.

"And they match your top perfectly. That's fantastic."

Yeah...I planned that. It's called coordination. But I didn't say that because I don't really know this girl (like what her name is or what department she works in), so I said thank you and moved on. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she points out another article of clothing I'm wearing as if I am totally unaware of what I put on my body every day. If she saw me wearing them with the skirt that matches her head may have exploded.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having people point out the obvious when it comes to clothes. I've seen it happen to others, and yet is remains endlessly fascinating. Probably because people only do it when you're wearing something they would consider "daring" or unusual. So in this case, apparently purple shoes that match a shirt is quite novel.

The irony of course being that the more unique or outrageous the outfit or accessory, the more aware you are of it's presence. No one goes out wearing a large hat or an elephant costume without being conscious of what they are wearing. But that is the exact time complete strangers will walk up to you and point out that you're  wearing a large hat or an elephant costume. Yet, if you see someone who has their skirt tucked into their pantyhose or is trailing toilet paper on their shoe, some hesitate because they don't want to embarrass the person.

I wonder what would happen if they saw someone not wearing pants? Point it out because they obviously forgot to put them on, or just assume the person knows their butt is showing. Anyone willing to try that?

Comments