Skip to main content

Bold Lips and Low Expectations

Right now it's all the rage for brands to team up with celebrities for a special line of something. 

Kristin Cavallari has a deal with Chinese Laundry for heels, Madonna brought Material Girl
Nice lips, but she's hardly the first to do a bold lip.
exclusively to Macy's, the new SJP line is only at Nordstrom, and Gwen Stefani unveiled her GX shoes only through ShoeDazzle

No stranger to the celebrity lines, MAC has recently announced the celebrity face of their new partnership for the next round of limited edition cosmetics. And seriously I couldn't be more disappointed. 

Oh, you thought this was going to be positive and about shoes. Sorry. It's about my second favorite love, cosmetics. Especially MAC, to which I am hopelessly devoted. 

This summer MAC releases a line with songstress, and possible one-hit-wonder, Lorde. 

I'll give you a minute to let that soak in. 

The girl who looks like she's wearing drugstore lipstick that doesn't match her skin is getting a cosmetics line. Even better, it was described by one online rag I read as a "goth" collection, because apparently Lorde is so goth. 

That shit "Royals" song could not possibly be less goth, and purple lipstick and a black dress doesn't make you goth. As someone who lived through the '90s, saw and hated the rise of Hot Topic, and still listens to music that some consider to be "goth" I think I can easily identify that she is not goth. 

Usually I love the MAC collaborations. RuPaul for Viva Glam, makeup effects artist and genius Rick
This is what MAC is capable of. Amazing. 
Baker got a Halloween creature collection in 2013, and Heatherette had a fab collection years ago that I still wish I could find again. Hell, even Betty and Veronica from the Archie Comics had a line with MAC. 

Sure,  Lorde wears MAC (so she claims) and MAC senior makeup artist Amber Dreadon is the one who created the Grammy look for the singer with the purple lips that didn't look like shit on her, so they already have a relationship. But by that rational, I should get a MAC line next. I wear their makeup almost exclusively, have some people who may or may not give a mild fuck about the makeup I wear, and wear as much or more makeup than most drag queens. 

Now if only I could go to the Grammys, Oscars, or anything else that would make people give a crap about who I'm wearing and what's on my face, I'd be set. Hey MAC, call me. I can totally fit a collaboration into my schedule. 

Comments