Skip to main content

Shopping in San Fran - Part 1

Sometimes when I'm out shopping I see something that triggers a memory of a conversation I had with someone or makes me think of a friend or family member. Sometimes that feeling is so great I'll snap a photo and send it to them.

This week I escaped the confines of the hotel in San Francisco long enough to wander out into Union Square and find Ross, a discount superstore akin to TJ Maxx and Marshalls (which I love). As I wandered through the shoe section (because where else would I start) I saw a pair of black glitter with black spikes, Steve Madden Andiie heels, that made me think of my friend Esther (who was at the conference with me) and a conversation we had over sushi that day at lunch.

It can be summed up by this: We both love spikes on shoes.


The rack of perfect shoes.
Since I have an insane number of shoes (with and without spikes), I sent Esther a photo of the shoes, letting her know that she obviously needed them, and what size should I pick up.

She replied a 9 1/2, and I stared at the rack of shoes, quickly realizing we have a problem. They didn't have her size.

How is that even possible, the perfect shoe, and they don't have her size?! But they did have a 10. A half size larger. Which can work. Sometimes. And sometimes it's a disaster.

I grabbed the half size up and asked her about them. She said agreed that it could work. Or not.

I scoured the racks, every size to see if a 9 1/2 had somehow been misplaced in one of the other sizes. After about 20 minutes of searching I gave up and headed back to the hotel, shoes in hand (literally because they charge for bags in San Fran), and called her when I arrived at my room.

She came bursting in a few minutes later, and we both held our breath as she slid the heels on.

They fit.

She literally started jumping and shrieking because they were so amazing, and they fit. And that was a hell of a feat because they have a five inch heel with a platform and probably weigh five pounds because of the glitter and spikes.

Who need ankle weights when you wear platforms?

We took pictures, fawned over the shoes a little more, and then came up with a brilliant idea. Let's both go to Ross and review the shoes again, and see what else they have in her size.

There's no way that can go wrong, right?

Comments