Skip to main content

Basic Silver

I decided this winter I needed silver shoes. That makes sense, right? I didn't have any, I just bought this great gray-silver silk button down, and the whole look would be perfect for the holidays.

It's also freakishly easy to find metallic heels around the holidays.

But I procrastinated. I saw shoes I liked, and put it off. Then they were out of stock on my size. I saw other shoes that were great, but open toe, and I wanted a closed toe. Others were amazing but out of my price range. Too sparkly, not sparkly enough, too dark, too shiny. I want something that looks like I have mirrors on my feet, now I want something subtle that I can wear to work.

My totally basic silver pumps
On and on this stupid mind game went until I saw a pair on massive sale, bit the bullet and ordered some classic silver pumps with a closed toe, platform, and 5 inch heel.

Unfortunatly I also waited so long that they didn't get to me in time for Christmas.

So yesterday I walked in and my husband pointed to a box. "You got shoes."

"Yeah, they're my boring silver heels and I don't want them anymore because it's after Christmas and they're too dull."

I should have bought these instead. 
He raised and eyebrow and I opened the box. I slipped them on and did a lap around the dining room. Then the dog licked one for good luck.

I could tell by the look on his face he didn't know what the problem was (my husband, not the dog).

They're just not as exciting as I wanted my silver shoes to be, I explained. They're pumps. Basic, classic pumps.

Sure, basic can be good, but I don't do basic well. I don't have basic anything. Or maybe I do, but I don't wear it a lot. Or I make it all stupid and complicated and un-basic.

I'm also probably one of the only people on the planet who would consider a pair of metallic silver pumps to be a basic, let alone somewhat boring. But silver on a car is basic and boring, so why can't I also consider it to be dull on my shoes?

The one good thing about getting a basic piece is that it now means I get to find another pair of something silver to obsess over. This one obviously more ostentatious and less basic.

Comments