Skip to main content

Closet Purges: My favorite sites

New year, same resolutions. Actually, I don’t even bother making resolutions anymore because they’re just the same damn things I try to do every year, all year.
  • Lose weight
  • Be healthier (fruit is a better snack than a Reese cup and I'm already failing at this)
  • Be more organized (at home, my office is fine)
I actually started the whole organized thing before the new year by cleaning out everyone’s closet. The girls fit in things for all of 3 months and then they’re on to the next size, and if I’m lucky everything got worn once.

While pregnant my feet went up a size and none of my shoes fit, so I started selling all of them. I also recently came to the conclusion that even if I do manage to once again fit into all the clothes spilling out of my closet, a lot of them won’t be in style, aren’t my style or are something I’ve been holding onto for far too long for no good reason (sequin mini skirt, I’m looking at you).

Husband has managed to miraculously lose weight by doing basically nothing at all except chase the twins and start exercising a few minutes a day. He found two things in his closet to get rid of and I seriously considered strangling him with a shirt because he lost weight so effortlessly and because I know there’s a hell of a lot more than two shirts in that closet that don’t fit.

With all these extra clothes sitting around I have found the perfect sites (all available as apps) to take care of all these things at all levels of luxury.

A screen shot of Tradesy
Totspot: You guessed it. They sell kids clothes, and they recently expanded to men’s and women’s clothes. Everything from the gently loved to new with tags (NWT) and original pieces that smaller designers sell, it’s a one-stop for the whole family. When something sells they email you a printable USPS label so there’s no guessing about postage. Just pack and ship. Use code QAMOXA to get $5 when you make your first purchase. Click here or download the app and sign up with code QAMOXA to save $5 off your first purchase. 

Poshmark: Everyone knows this one. Post pics of your clothes, people buy them, print a label, pack and ship. Super easy. Women’s clothes, shoes, bags and accessories and maternity only. Easy to share stuff and be seen. Click here or download the app and sign up with code PKFUO to save $10 on your first purchase. 

Tradesy: If you have a lot of luxury labels or you don’t feel like dealing with finding boxes, then Tradesy is a good fit. Tons of designer items, it takes forever to search through stuff. When something does sell you can print your own label or they’ll send you a pre-addressed poly bag to pack your stuff in. Super easy and they take women's maternity, bridal and accessories. Click here to get $20 off your purchase of $50 or more. 

My Poshmark closet.
Seriously, this could not be easier 
ThreadUp: Perhaps the easiest one of all. After creating an account you can order a clean out bag, which they mail to you. Once you get the bag fill it with clothes for women or children (sorry men), but be sure to check the labels to make sure it’s an accepted brand. Once the bag is full, have USPS pick it up and it ships off (for free) and someone goes through your stuff and they give you money for the items they accept. Items they don’t accept are upcycled. The whole company is very green and philanthropic, and while you won’t get a ton of money for your clothes, it’s by far the easiest of all the options, especially if your closet is full of good brands that are barely worn. Plus they pay you upfront for most items, so if they accept something and it doesn’t sell, it doesn’t matter. Click here to sign up and get $20 towards a purchase. 

Of course at all the sites you can also use the money you earn to buy stuff from other people, including that designer handbag you've had your eye on or a designer coat at an amazing discount simply because it's pre-loved. I have gotten some really amazing deals on each one of these sites at various times and I constantly keep a list of items I like saved for the occasional splurge. 

When all that's done whatever is still at home that you want to get rid of can of course be donated to any number of wonderful charities, many of which will come and pick up at your house.  

If you want to follow any of my closets, you can always find me by following the links above or by searching for Cat in Heels. 


Comments