Skip to main content

Too bloody normal

Nightmare of You Platform (8)
You can buy them


A few weeks ago husband asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told him I needed a pair of plain black ankle boots or a pair of unembellished red heels, preferably peep toe. He pissed and moaned about how boring that was, and we went back and forth with a million pictures and Web sites, and then I sent him the shoes I wanted.

Iron Fist Freddy Krueger inspired heels called "Welcome to my Nightmare."

Horror movies and shoes all rolled into one! And they were amazing, and contained the original colors I was looking for (plus blood spatters), so that's got to count for something. But with little time left to order shoes we decided to shop for them in stores.

The weekend before Christmas the over-crowded mall failed us. A couple days before Christmas the local stores that carry Iron Fist shoes failed. And instead we were left staring at walls and walls of shoes in the store and they had all kinds of Iron Fist shoes, but not the ones I wanted. So we agreed I'd find something else.

Too normal for something special
At this point I did what anyone would do and instead tried on 200 other pairs of shoes and walked up to him triumphant, carrying metallic gold and black tiger stripe heels.

"That's what you want for Christmas?" he asked as I nodded earnestly and shoved the box at him indicating that I was not paying.

"But those are so...normal. I mean they're nice, but they're really normal looking. Why don't you keep looking and get something else that's a little more different. And we can get those too."

Metallic gold tiger stripe heels are too normal? Good to know. They're so normal in fact, that when I got home I realized that I didn't own anything to go with them. I don't have gold sweaters or pants (although that would be cool). I barely even have gold jewelry. Eventually I paired them with all black and a loud necklace with gold in it, considered it cutting edge corporate, and went to work to push the dress code with shoes too normal for Christmas gifts.

Oh, and I still need those black boots and red heels. So really the whole thing will eventually cost me (and him) more money than if we went with boring in the first place.

Comments

dc said…
I want those tiger striped shoes!! Where did you get them?!
Cat said…
I got them at the Alley on Clark and Belmont in Chicago. They were on crazy sale so it was an amazing deal. The brand is Bamboo (I forget the style name), but I'm sure you can find them online.
Anonymous said…
I have been browsing online greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours.
It's lovely value enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the internet will likely be much more useful than ever before.
Feel free to surf my web blog :: converse pumps