Skip to main content

Nike and the art of running

My bio notes that I own a pair of gym shoes, which I do. I'll admit to it. I even wear them sometimes, like when I workout.

I don't like to discuss working out because it's generally gross, sweaty and leaves you an unattractive mess, but if you want to teeter around in giant freaking heels, you've got to lace up those sneakers and go for a damn run. Strong legs don't just show up and maintain themselves.

Nike Chicago LunarGlide+3 a.k.a. my new motivation
The problem I always run into (pun intended) is that I need some kind of motivation (aside from calorie burning), which is when I turn to shopping. Because a new pair of workout clothes that haven't been marred by sweat and hate can get your ass out on the pavement or in the gym.

This weekend I was lucky enough to have motivation slap me in the face when I attended the launch of Nike's new shoe, the Chicago LunarGlide+3 shoe at Akin. Chicago artist Tara D designed the Chicago version of the shoe, which launched just in time for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon (which I will not be running).

Nike was generous enough to gift me a pair of the Chicago LunarGlide+3 shoes, which I'm really excited about because it's about time for some new motivation. The best part about this shoe is that it isn't hideous. It's highly functional, artistic and looks different than most other running shoes in their blazing white and neon colors. Sure, some will wear this shoe as a fashion statement, but mine will only be paired with workout clothes, and will pound pavement, treadmills, elliptical, and probably end up on a multitude of bike rides.

The design and color even extends to the sole.
At the event Tara D discussed her motivation in designing the shoe, and that she talked to runners to find inspiration for the design. DJ Marky Boy was spinning music at the event, which also had food and drinks (for adults and kids), and I got to see the Back to the Future II shoes in person.

Is working out glam? No, but it's totally necessary, even if you just focus on the narcissistic side and forget all the health benefits. And when you're wearing giant heels, you need to make sure you're not going to have a knee or ankle give out because you don't like being sweaty. Running probably isn't when I look my best, but it's definitely better than being sprawled out on the floor because my legs aren't strong enough to support my heels. Although, the story to go along with that would probably be priceless.

Comments