Skip to main content

Acting on Impulse

Every so often I impulse buy a pair of shoes.

Or like once a month. Or every other week. I will not admit to impulse buying any more than that. Except for the last few weeks. Something has really been wrong the last couple weeks and I’ve been a little more impulsive than normal. So much so that I ended up with a backlog of unworn shoes.

I don’t manage to wear all my shoes equally anyway. There are some that never see the light of day, and others that are in a heavy rotation. I’ve been working on this and trying to mix up shoes with different outfits and such, but that’s not always the most successful thing.

This recently backlog of unworn shoes though has gotten really bad. So bad that I was making up outfits to go with them simply so I can wear them.

I’m not sure when I will simply think I don’t need another new pair of shoes.

First up in the new shoes to wear are my aqua Nine West Boutique Nine heels that I picked up on sale during a business trip to Washington D.C. They were blue, and on sale, and I was pretty sure I didn’t have blue shoes. (I was totally wrong about this, but we’ll discuss that later). Plus they’re pointy toe, which I don’t have a lot of (dear god I am delusional), and the heel is a totally reasonable height (this is actually true).

Next up were my bronze/gold Sam Edelman heels (again with the pointy toe) that I impulse bought during my lunch hour with a co-worker at the Nordstrom sale. I was really convinced during that time that bronze/gold shoes were something my wardrobe was totally lacking. And I used to have a pair but something happened to them. I think I wore them out. And they were amazing and now they’re gone, and the Sam Edelmans were such an amazing deal…

They’ve been sitting in my closet ever since.
All new, and all unworn

Also still sitting in my closet are a pair of black Vince Camuto motorcycle boots with silver studs on them. I decided one day after kickboxing that I needed them and made my sister (who told me about them) meet me at TJ Maxx (where I also got a pair of Cole Haan sunglasses).

I chalk up their lack of being worn to the fact that it’s still like a billion degrees in Chicago. And I don’t do boots and shorts. The sunglasses I wear all the time.

Finally we have my birthday present to me, which was a total impulse thanks to Corals and Congacs, who had to go on Facebook and let me know the neon green and black Ann Taylor heels she has (that I was totally jealous of) were like 80% off. Seriously, it was like they were giving them away. It hardly even matters if I wear them or not because they’re like $200-and-something shoes that I got for $30-something. Practically free.

So there I am with a closet of barely worn shoes that I keep adding to. And somehow I keep finding shoes that are totally not like anything I own (did anyone see the houndstooth heels I posted on FB yesterday?). Or at least I think they’re not like anything I own. But sometimes they are, and I still love them, and I find a way to wear them. Even if it is only once.

Comments