Skip to main content

Ballerinas and Birthday Shoes

Today was my birthday and with it came an overwhelming flood of well wishes and the hopes that I get all the shoes of my dreams.

Was this the start of it all?
This morning I was talking to my father and he was comparing my dreams of when I was three years old to the dreams of my three-year-old niece, who had just sent me the most amazing happy birthday song via text message.

Apparently when I was three I was going to grow up to be a ballerina. My father said that was probably the start of my obsession with shoes.

I started dancing when I was three, and thought my ballet slippers and tap shoes were the most magical things ever. This continued throughout my childhood, and well into high school until knee injuries and the reality that I was not good enough to be pro derailed my childhood hopes and I switched to a career path that was a little more realistic.

Not my birthday shoes, but they're new!
Perhaps that's also when my obsession with shoes and my collection of heels really started getting out of hand. once I no longer had to replace point shoes and jazz shoes every couple of months I could focus on things I could wear outside and that were a totally different kind of fabulous.

My shoes have now expanded beyond pink and black and into boots, wedges, sandals, and various other types of fabulous. I also managed to not get any shoes on my birthday. But I did buy these amazing Vince Camuto Donato Moto boots last week.

I don't think I'll call those my birthday shoes though. My birthday seems like the perfect excuse to buy another new pair of heels.

Comments