Skip to main content

Shoes for the Apocalypse

Today I had a rare day off, and I found it somewhat fitting that today (the 21st) is also the end of the world.

At least according to some people who decided that they know what the ancient Mayans were thinking.

So as I got ready to leave the house, I wasn't sure what kind of shoes I should wear for the end of the world. I mean, if they had explained how it would end that would be helpful, but they didn't so what;s a girl to do?

Ready for the zombie apocalypse. 
I mean is this going to be a Walking Dead zombie style end of the world? Are we talking Mad Max where I have to wear leather and chain mail and fight? Or will everything just explode and that will be the end of it.

All of these scenarios involve very different footwear needs.

I asked my Facebook and Twitter peeps what they thought would be appropriate footwear for the end of the world, and the responses were amazing (and varied).

My mom's suggestion was that I wear something I could run in. But that may have been aimed at the comment about going to the dentist today. I'm pretty sure she is more afraid of the dentist than the end of the world.

My sister responded that I should wear my favorite heels. But really, that's like choosing my favorite child. I could do it, but I wouldn't be happy about it. (Obviously I don't have kids).

Other responses included anything by Iron Fist (so covered for any kind of apocalypse), matte black six inch heels, anything worthy of Thunderdome, and a very specific pair of silver studded heels from Nordstrom.

I like any and all of those options.

I don't know what kind of shoes they're wearing, but I
love the feather shoulder pads. 
I didn't really believe it was the end of the world though, and I hate carrying groceries in stilettos, so I settled on my studded Vince Camuto Motorcycle boots and a pair of jeans. Luckily, the world didn't end, so what kind of shoes I was wearing mattered for nothing other than my personal comfort.

Then again, I guess there's still a couple hours left in my time zone, so I guess the world still could end, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that tomorrow I can pick another pair of shoes, and move right past where the Mayans stopped writing their calendar.

Comments