Skip to main content

High stakes and high heels

The wedding is approaching faster than I anticipated. At least it seems that way. People keep asking me if I'm done with everything.

"Of course I am. It's in November. Sure, what the hell. It's done."

Then I panic because I remember that I haven't booked an officiant, picked out flowers (or even met with the florist), sent money to the caterer, picked out linens, there are still bridesmaids who have to order dresses, and people keep asking me about my veil.

For those of you who don't know me (if there are any), I'm not a traditional person. I'm not worried about veils, and won't have your classic cathedral length veil with blusher. In fact, I don't know what I'm going to have. I guess I better work on that.

What I have been trying to find though, is the perfect shoes. It's going to be one of the most important days of my life, and I better have some damn good shoes. It doesn't matter that people probably won't see them because my dress is long. As I was standing in the dressing room, wearing the dream dress, and my mom looked at me with that teary mother-daughter look, and my sisters agreed that I had found my dress, the next question Mom asked was, "What kind of shoes are you going to wear?"


The stakes are that high people. There are a million questions Mom could have asked and she comes up with that one. She has even called me at work to discuss what shoes I may wear, and what Michelle at her work is wearing in her wedding, which is also this Fall. (For the record, Michelle is wearing Christian Louboutin).

I had originally fallen in love with a pair of fuchsia, sequin, peep toe Christian Louboutin shoes, and then I realized that the sequins will get caught in the tulle. Further searches turn up nothing quite as fabulous as these, and if you Google "bride shoes", 90% of the choices make you want to vomit. Everything is white, pristine, and generally boring. Why would I want to wear something dull and white for my wedding? I've got enough issues with an ivory dress (although it is amazing). My shoes should really continue a  reflection of who I am. And who I am not is someone who wears white shoes.

So the search continues. Hopefully for something that won't get caught up on my clothes and make me trip on my own dress and make an ass of myself in front of 150 of my family and friends (as I've already almost done). So basically, I can't dress like a total maniac on my wedding day.

Comments