Skip to main content

Blocking Out Heels

I'm really into this whole color blocking trend going on right now. In reality it's simply the absence of patterns and wearing more than one color at a time, so it's basically how I've always dressed because my wardrobe is totally void of patterns.

When it comes to shoes though, color blocking gives a new aesthetic that wasn't so prevalent before. This season it's easy to find shoes of every color with contrasting platforms, heels and toes.

Three basic colors will go with anything. 
I finally broke down a got a pair, and in pearl clutching surprise, they are not sky-high heels in obnoxious colors. Instead I went classic and subdued with a pair of beige, tan and black leather, round toe color block heels from Banana Republic.

I saw them when they first hit the store a couple months ago, and had somehow (and for some unknown reason) resisted buying them until this weekend. Finally I gave in, realizing that not only are they some kind of retro-inspired amazing, but they'll also go with damn near anything I wear to work.

That certainly doesn't men I am going to temper my use of colored heels in the workplace, but instead this provides another option when my look is a little more conservative and classic. They'll also go flawlessly with suits, which means they can be a go-to shoe for traveling and cut the anxiety of needing multiple pairs of shoes. (We'll see how that theory works out).

These amazing little shoes have also given me a billion new outfit ideas, at least half of which involves buying new clothes, so they're also acting as a catalyst to expand my wardrobe.

As for all the other colors out there, don't worry. I'll get to the bright, obnoxious color blocked shoes. In fact, I may already have some sitting in my closet. It's getting kind of hard to keep track.

Comments