Skip to main content

Spring Flowers


I don’t do pastels and I don’t do floral prints. These two things are going to make Spring fashions kind of difficult for me this year.

Too sweet for me. 
It’s not because they don’t look good on me. With pale skin and dark hair, pastels actually aren’t bad on me. Floral prints probably also look fine, but I can’t get over the fact that even the most clothing-looking floral pattern reminds me of wallpaper.

Gives a whole new mental image to the term “wallflower.”

Instead I’ll go with the bright colors for spring, of course paired with my black basics, button downs and pencil skirts (because in my wardrobe it is the early 1960s), and continue to toss on shoes that act as the statement piece that makes my look defy any era.

Today I spent lunch looking through catalogs and browsing online, and I noticed that there are a lot of floral print shoes for Spring as well.

Flower, snake and leopard? I could do this. 
I guess they kind of look like wallpaper too, but somehow it’s vaguely more acceptable when it’s on your feet. As if you accidentally got tripped up in it on your way out of the house and now your shoes look oh so fabulous because that dining room pattern is to die for.

Perhaps a bold floral pattern with a contrasting color heel will work for me. Or something that is bright and dark, all at the same time.  I need to find the right pattern. One that adds that perfect punch to a pain dress or breathes new life into a colored skirt and coordinating sweater. There are honestly so many color and print options out there right now you’d be hard pressed not to find a floral something, somewhere that you would wear.

But I draw the line at pastel flowers that are reminiscent of watercolors. Because I’m pretty sure those may actually be made from the wallpaper of my childhood bedroom.

Comments